DIY Drum Shade and Lamp Makeover!

Sunday, August 04, 2013

I've had this lamp forever, and it was given to me by a friend when I got into a new apartment. I wanted something that was a little more my style. As soon as I found it a home, I knew the design I wanted! 


This is an easy one! Things you'll need: Fabric, Rustoleum Painters Touch Paint, fabric glue, and super glue. 
Unfortunately I don't have a step by step photography. I was in a hurry to see my results! I'll be doing another lamp soon....
The base is very simple: just paint. (two coats)
The shade: 
1.) carefully take apart the shade fabric. Start with the vertical pieces and then depending on how your shade is put together the outward facing fabric. You'll want to save the fabric on the interior of the lamp for the professional look, so be extra careful not to rip it. (hold up the fabric to the shade and you'll see what I mean. If you do, you can replace it, but it will cost you extra. 
2.) After you have chosen a fabric (very workable and light colors preferable) lay it out on the floor and and place the older outward fabric on top and carefully trace/cut it out. tip: I cut an extra 1/2 in to give myself some room to work. 
3.) Then cut 2- 2" strip the same length as the pattern. You will fold this fabric and iron in the fold so you have a piece you can put on the outside. 
4.) This is the messy part. (there may be a better way to do this, but I like fast results) Start with the fabric glue: place on the frame of the lamp, then place the edge of the fabric on the top of the glue and you'll feel the glue "soak" into the fabric. You'll do this about an 1" at a time until you get the hang of it! 
5.) Temporarily remove it from the frame, then apply the super glue directly to the frame, then place the "soaked" edge of the fabric and smooth it out along the curve. Careful not to glue your fingers, I recommend using a paper towel or a piece of parchment paper as a finger guard for this part. Also check to make sure that your fabric will do the same on the bottom side.  
FIY: I didn't follow the exact construction of the original lamp to make it easier as my first makeover. If  you do, let me know how it goes. 
6.) Follow step 5 until you have finished the whole drum.
7.) Follow step 5 for the interior fabric also. 
8.) Then apply your ironed fabric pieces to the top and bottom to finish it!
9) Enjoy your New shade!!! 
10.) If you have any trouble, I'll be posting picture photography of this to a different type of shade next week. Or if your curious, just check it out!

You Might Also Like

0 comments